Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Back to work

For those readers who were irked, envious and annoyed by my last post, alas there is good news. It appears I have discovered the down side to getting an 11-day holiday break from work (supplemented heavily by paid vacation days).

On day 12, you have to go back to work.

It's kind of like a freefall off the side of a skyscraper. It's exhilarating while it lasts, but then at the end you smash into the pavement, or maybe the top of someone's car. I'm speaking strictly based on what I've seen on TV and my own imagination. I have never leapt off a skyscraper, or any building for that matter, and I strongly discourage my readers (especially the ones who leave comments) from trying it themselves.

OK, maybe that's a bit overdramatic. What can I say? I'm a classic drama queen.

Sorry? What's that? Oh, you're right. I'm not a drama queen. I have no excuse, then, do I?

Well, the point is (I think there's a point, albeit a small one): I've had to go back to work, and it's a bit of a downer. Fortunately, the phones have been kind to me today, as one CEO answered his phone when I called and two other top executives called me back the same day. I like my job, especially when I get the chance to talk to humans and write articles -- not as much on days when I make 12 to 15 cold calls and then sit impatiently waiting for the phone not to ring.

The other good news is, Mickey will have one more occasional, infrequent way to while away the hours at his job. He sounded so sad and desperate last week, didn't he? Pleading for us to write. I felt a little bad for last-week Mickey when I returned to the blogosphere this afternoon.

I wish I could assure him that I'll do better in the New Year, providing him with some more mindless reading material at least three times a week. But haven't I made enough empty promises?

Oh, all right. I promise.

6 comments:

Meaghan said...

Ah yes, back to work. I'm glad you actually had work to do to pass the time away...

Mickey said...

Yay. We'll hold you to that promise, although I'm not sure how. It's good to have you back. Dig the skyscraper bit.

Courtney said...

I've always thought you were a closet drama queen. The truth comes out!

Nicole said...

So, um, Happy New Year! Now continue to entertain me.

Jacob said...

I think Mickey is a closet high school English teacher. He can't comment on a post without critiquing the actual writing. I am a high school English teacher and I'm not that obnoxious.

In that way.

Nicole said...

Dude - it's always Blogger sweeps month - that's what I always tell myself in order to make my blog SO DAMN INTERESTING.

And I have had a revelation - if I ever get engaged or have babies, and decide to announce it to the world on my blog, no one is going to believe me. I have done the 'super big secret' thing way too many times. I'm like the boy who cried wolf, except I'm the blogger who cried baby - one too many times.