Thursday, March 20, 2008

I did not go to the bank today

I did not go to the bank today

As yesterday and days before,

Nor did I call

The oral surgeon's office

To schedule a consultation.

The unused ticket for an airport shuttle

Likewise remains deskside

Awaiting its own return trip to Orlando,

Accompanied by a terse note demanding refund,

Due to

shoddy

and slow

service.

The endless procrastination.

(Height of procrastination,

That I meant to embody it in poetic form

Two days before.

And now finally

I write these words

On the day

When I actually did go to the bank.)

But I shall.

I shall do these things and more, much more,

To cross off my mindless to-do list

Like vacuuming my car to rid it of piss-scented dog odor

Or getting a haircut

Or cleaning

My

Desk.

Stacked notebooks and papers

Await the urge to topple onto me,

Delayed only by

Their own

Procrastination.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

This reads like a Shel Silverstein poem on one of his really bad days. Cool post, though.

Tomorrow is cabin time! Woo!

arbyn said...

I feel like you wrote this poem for me.

Glad I found a comrade procrastinator.

PS. Good on you to actually go to the bank, good on you. Next task: obtain stamp

Mickey said...

Awww, yeah. Good finish. That made it for me.

Meaghan said...

Such vivid poetry! We'll be cutting that hair tonight, good husband!

Julie said...

I appreciate your ability to procrastinate in posting your procrastination poem.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think a simple vacuum will handle the dog piss.