Friday, March 28, 2008

Did somebody say contest?

My fellow bloggers have entertained their readerships lately with a variety of contests, and what am I if not a lemming, mindlessly following the pack?

So here I go: offering a contest for my own dear readers. In the grand tradition of those before me, the only prize to be offered shall be the pride and personal satisfaction that you'll enjoy from having won. (By the way, I'm giving song lyrics and you've got to guess the artist and song. Most correct answers wins.)

There's no connective theme or particular genre to these songs, only that they periodically roll about inside my head (and I sometimes listen to actual, audible recordings of them as well). That these are the songs that spring to mind for me probably says something about my psyche (skeptical? drawn to escapism?), but there will be no extra points awarded for accurate psycho-analyses.

Of course you could Google all these lyrics and get every answer correct, but what fun would that be? Besides, cheaters never win (except sometimes in pro sports, politics, business and academia, if you don't get caught).

By the way, I'll wait a few days to post the correct answers, since my readers are probably not accustomed to reading my blog every single day. So all you lurky-loos (I do have lurky-loos, don't I?) please leave a comment with your guesses, even if you only kind of know a couple of them.

On with it, then:

1. "I wish I was like you, easily amused"

2. "Playing Solitaire till dawn with a deck of 51, smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo, so don't tell me I've nothing to do"

3. "I need a photo opportunity. I want a shot at redemption. Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard"

4. "It's been rough and rocky travelin' but I'm finally standing upright on the ground. And after takin' several readings, I'm surprised to find my mind still fairly sound."

5. "You, I thought I knew you. You, I cannot judge."

6. "We can live beside the ocean, leave the fire behind, swim out past the breakers, watch the world die."

7. "And the reaching of the steeple felt like one more expensive ad for something cheap. This was not the way it looked on the billboard, smiling family beaming down on the interstate." (sorry, this is totally self-indulgent. only one of you will know it.)

8. "So shave your face with some mace in the dark. Savin' all your food stamps and burnin' down the trailer park."

9. "Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book? It took me years to write. Will you take a look?"

10. "I don't cry when my dog runs away. I don't get angry at the bills I have to pay. I don't get angry when my mom smokes pot."

Good luck everybody!

7 comments:

Meaghan said...

Wow, these are interesting! You thought I would know them all, but I don't at this point. I know a few right off hand - especially the one that no one else will guess. But I'm going to wait until others have commented!

Courtney said...

Whee!

1. All Apologies - Nirvana
2. ?
3. You Can Call Me Al - Paul Simon (what a great song!)
4. ?
5. I had to think about this one for a while, but finally came up with it: Nightswimming by REM.
6. The song is by Everclear, but I don't know the title. I'll guess "Watch the World Die."
7. ?
8. Loser - Beck
9. ?
10. What I Got - Sublime

Senegal Daily said...

Brilliant idea, even if I stink at it.

The Beatles' Paperback Writer. That's all I got.

Jacob said...

The Everclear Song is Santa Monica. I was a wee bit obsessed with Art Alexakis in high school.

9 is Paperback Writer by the Beatles.

I also had 8, 1, and 10, but Courtney beat me.

Mickey said...

Yeah. I give.

(actually, I know one or two, but nothing that hasn't been said)

Isn't music just brilliantly insidious?

Julie said...

I am at a distinct disadvantage here. You all know that my knowledge of music is rather limited. Even if I recognize the song, the best I can do for you is to provide the next line (btw - I would rock the singing bee). I may have never known who sings it or what is the song title.

Chris, you have failed.

Meaghan said...

OK, I'm pretty sure #4 is a Willy Nelson song, and I'm going to guess "On the Road Again." But that may be wrong. No. 7 is "Expectations" by Caedmon's Call, although it was obviously written by one Mr. Randall Goodgame. I knew that #9 was "Paperback Writer," but Kari beat me to it.