Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cold calls

For those of you who have never taken a job that involved making lots of cold calls, let me offer this piece of advice: Don't.

As a journalist, I quite enjoy the writing aspect of my job. And despite fancying myself to be an aspiring creative writer, I also enjoy the fact that I don't have to make up any of the information or subject matter for my writings in this line of work. I simple write a summary of what people tell me in interviews.

Furthermore (that's a very writerish word, so I thought I'd use it), I enjoy the process of interviewing executives about their businesses, learning their goals and what value they see their company adding to the world -- which is not to say I don't sometimes doubt said value.

But what I do not enjoy about my job is calling these people out of the clear bloody blue to try to convince them to tell me these things over the telephone, because I've never met these people and most of the time they've never even heard of me, nor the publication for which I write. And so here I am, leaving voicemails for people, trying to sound like the kind of swell fellow they might enjoy speaking with on the phone. I do this in the hope that these people I've never met will call back and share some of the most confidential information and thoughts I could possibly ask for about their business -- with me, the guy they've never heard of who writes for a publication they've also never heard of.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that so many people never call back. The real miracle here is that anybody does call back.

There's a reason I didn't go into sales. Actually a number of reasons. For one, I am naturally filled with self-doubt. For example, I write infrequently on my blog and am slow to speak up in group conversations because I question whether I have anything unique enough or interesting enough to contribute. In the case of cold calls, this means it's difficult to persuade people to share sensitive information with me (or call me back, for that matter) when I really can't see any good reason for them to do so.

Also, I didn't go into sales because I HATE COLD CALLS. Both making and receiving them, apparently. When telemarketers call me, I try to be polite and wait for a small break in their monologue before saying 'I'm not interested' and hanging up. But if they catch me in the wrong mood, I'll probably just hang up mid-sentence.

At least I don't think any one has hung up on me mid-sentence so far. But quite a number of executives have forwarded my voicemail message along to the company's PR rep, which is almost as bad.

Well, it's a good job all in all, aside from this frustration -- plus my nagging guilt over using my skills to serve an investment community I suspect to already be quite high on wealth and low on scruples, but that's another post.

So I won't complain too much. I just figured I might warn my readers away from jobs such as telemarketing, which I know would otherwise represent a highly appealing career opportunity.

6 comments:

Jacob said...

I've actually heard that hanging up quickly actually helps these people, but that implies they're paid by the call or by the sale and that hanging up gives them the chance to move on to someone more gullible. If they're paid by the hour it doesn't really do them any good, I guess. I always say hello once, and if I don't hear an immediate reply, I hang up. The computer systems they use create a slight delay as the switch over to the person. Anyone who really should be calling is going to be paying attention and will answer promptly. I think I hung up on my mother-in-law for that reason once.

And thanks for warning me away from telemarketing. I was considering that for my next career.

Meaghan said...

Stop your whining and be grateful you even have a job! Just kidding! I know that must be really frustrating. I hope you don't have to make too many more cold calls as the job goes on and you make more contacts!

Mickey said...

Phones are a deal-breaker for me. I actually have a phone here at my job now, but I never answer it when it rings, which it does occasionally. I actually do the same thing at home. If I can't think of a good reason for someone to call me, then there must not be a good reason for me to pick it up.

So if that's you that's been trying to reach me, I'm sorry. Move on, though, because I never check to see if I have voice messages and I wouldn't call back anyway. Knocking on my door only meets with limited success as well.

And I'm sure as heckfire not calling anyone else.

Courtney said...

I can see how that can get real old real fast. Strangely enough, though, I think I'd rather be the one making cold calls than the one receiving them. I don't like getting unexpected phone calls while I'm in the middle of something else.

God, Chris, you're so annoying. Why can't you leave those poor CEOs alone?

Chris said...

Rest assured, Courtney, the CEOs themselves are rarely getting bothered by me at all. Their assistants are the ones I'm typically terrorizing.

Julie said...

I find the longer I work, the fewer calls I want to make. If there is an email attached to an account, I will send three emails before I finally pick up the phone.