Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Yes, Virginia

This post is not about Santa Claus (which God help me, I just almost spelled with an 'e' on the end -- damn you, Tim Allen). It's about me wasting time. That is meant to be the theme of this blog, after all, now isn't it? And lately I just haven't done enough of it.

So I apologize to all those who rely on my time wasting to help them waste time in return.

Without further adieu (disregard previous post about not using cliches in good writing), I shall list things here. In no particular order. And the listing of them shall have no predetermined count. I shall list until I tire of listing (or assume that you readers may tire of reading) or I return to my senses with the urge to work and make money or exert some effort to prevent my mother's impending potential homelessness.

1. Just found my brother, a part time college professor, on RateMyProfessor.com. Apparently his students find him quite knowledgeable and eager to help them succeed, but also rather monotone and bearing some resemblance to Lurch. Quite observant, those students. I couldn't have said it better myself. (It's funnier if you know him. Sorry.)

2. No matter how many times I look at it, the Blogger logo always looks more like some foreign character than a letter B.

3. I'm fading fast.

4. My Dilbert one-a-day desk calendar is still showing Dec. 3. I've got some catching up to do.

5. Christmas shopping was unusually easy this year, maybe because I left Meaghan to do most of the shopping and all of the wrapping. Also, I stopped caring about getting people really good gifts and just bought the first thing that looked remotely like something they could potentially enjoy.

6. We bought small, plush teddy bears at IKEA for the babies. Strange place for teddy bears, but they were very soft and cheap. Sadie got one, too, and chewed the nose off it.

7. When writing articles for the online publication that employs me, we have to do this HTML coding trick where we type
at the end of each paragraph, to force a line break. So when I write on my blog, I have to restrain myself from typing that here as well. (I hope Blogger doesn't confuse my typing here for HTML code. If there's a strange break in the middle of this paragraph, I apologize.)

8. Eight.

9. Phone.

10. Printer.

11. Not

12. on

13. drugs,

14. I promise.

15. For some reason I just heard Ellen Degeneres' voice narrating this blog. Seemed funnier that way.

16. I don't know if I spelled Degeneres correctly, and I don't care to look it up right now. Suck it.

17. Courtney apparently shares her name with some sort of rock star or musician, I learned after some Googling inspired by Mickey's recent post on the subject.

18. I hope there's no contest for best blog post today, because I would score poorly. Meaghan and Courtney both have good showings, however, so congratulations to them. I declare them the semifinalists, and now the rest of you may vote for a winner -- or call a Constitutional Congress or simply implore the Supreme Court to pick their favorite, whichever you prefer for deciding close elections.

19. Bacon Soup is going to tear me a new one for this.

20.

8 comments:

Meaghan said...

First of all, I kind of hope you didn't approach Christmas shopping for me with that same attitude. (Then again, who gives a shit. You'll just join everyone else who has ever shopped for me.)

Secondly, I vote for Courtney on the best blog today. Hers is meaningful and deep...

Thirdly, I don't think Bacon Soup is in commission any longer. Either that or Severo is so lazy that it is starting to show on his blog.

Mickey said...

My Far Side one-a-day is stuck on November 4. Why?

This is the spirit of blogging, Chris. It doesn't have to make sense. It's a nice change for you, but now I'm second-guessing my blog awards.

Courtney said...

If all these compliments continue, my head isn't going to fit through the doorway.

Jacob said...

This reminded me of e. e. cummings' poetry for some obvious (to me) reasons.

Jacob said...

I thought it was "without further ado" as in much ado about nothing. The later reference about cliches make it seem like the adieu wasn't the joke. Adieu is just froggish for goodbye. I think.

Chris said...

You caught me, Jacob. I believe it should have been 'ado'. Got my old English and my 'froggish' mixed up.

Senegal Daily said...

I confirm that 'adieu' is in fact bidding someone to go with God. But hey, you spelled it correctly which is worth a few points, non?

I like number 6. IKEA does have some great surprises. Ours sells hotdogs and has free refills for drinks. It's the only place in town that does so, so all the Americans love it.

Senegal Daily said...

PS - I'm not sure if this makes us super cool or super dorky, but I think we both just commented on each other's blog at the exact same time.

I vote for cool.