Saturday, December 1, 2007

My perfect world?

I'm intrigued by these "perfect world" posts that Meaghan and Jacob have written. And what am I if not a mindless follower? So I'm trying to figure out what my perfect world would be like...

This might be tough for me, as I pride myself on my logical thinking and fantasy is not a strength of mine, but I'll do my best.

In my perfect world, all of my family members would find a precise balance (a perfect balance, you might say) of time with me and time with other people. As it is now (in the imperfect world), it seems that the family members with whom I want to spend more time are very busy, as am I, and the ones whose company I enjoy less (sorry, but true) want more and more of my time -- despite my being busy. Same goes for friends.

Basically, I'm saying perfect relationships all around. Magic.

Hm. Next... I'd certainly go along with the not having to work a regular full-time job. I wouldn't want to get lazy and find myself watching Jerry Spring and People's Court every day. But it would sure be nice to have ample time (and energy) to go for runs, read good books, cook my own meals, play with my dog, hang out with my wife, etc. etc.

And I'd want to have plenty of time and money to travel.

Ugh... I can't do it. This is all too easy. I'm too realistic to make the whole world perfect.

Bear with me while I channel my inner Michael Jackson. What? Why are you laughing? Yes, I do have an inner Michael, and I don't mean that I like little boys or plastic noses. I mean: I'm starting with the man in the mirror.

A more perfect life for me? That would mean I would exercise regularly, for starters, and eat more healthful food. I start there not because it's most important to me, but because I think those things would give me the increased energy to do all the other things I want to do.

Those other things? Well, I would actually get back to writing my "novel". I put it in quotes because I am terribly pessimistic that it will ever be finished, and if it does get finished I'm not sure it will be considered a novel -- maybe a novella, maybe a really long short story. Either way, I do want to finish it. And then write another, and another. I enjoy writing fiction when I force myself to sit down and do it. But as my faithful blog readers have probably noticed, I am not the most disciplined about writing outside my full-time job -- which unfortunately right now is about the most uncreative writing job I can imagine.

Next, I would devote more time, energy and money to charitable work. Actually, this probably should be first, in terms of its importance to me. All through high school and then even more so in college, I always pictured myself growing up to be a very giving person, a chronic volunteer, someone who would work hard to help those less fortunate. I've always despised those people who make good money and have jobs that allow them ample free time, and yet they keep it all to themselves. I guess I always really bought into the motto (or official college scripture, or whatever it was) of Berry College: Those who have received much will be expected to give much -- that's a crude paraphrase.

Well, I'm five years out of college now. I have received much, but I ain't done shit for anybody else. I make occasional charitable donations, mostly around the holidays like every other self-centered upper middle-class schmuck. And I couldn't tell you the last time I did any form of volunteer work.

One more thing I'll wrap this up with... I'd eventually get into a full-time job about which I had at least a little passion. Now I'm not bitching. I've got a good job with a good company and it's a world away from life at the Rome News-Tribune (in a good way). But I do find it hard to get motivated about writing leads for investment bankers -- which is essentially what I do.

Despite the title of this post, I'm not asking for a perfect job. And I'm not saying I'm fed up with this one. But on my list of ways I'd like to improve myself, I feel I should include figuring out what I'd really enjoy doing for a living and (at least) gradually working my way in that direction.

Now, if item No. 1 (writing fiction) and item No. 3 (finding a rewarding career path) happen to intersect, that'd be great. But I'm not ready to give up a steady paycheck and health insurance anytime soon.

8 comments:

Jacob said...

Yeah, I in now way lack the knack for fantasy. I wish I had more practical tendencies, but I really have to work to achieve any sort of practical thinking.

I really dug the post, though. I think I share a lot of the same personal goals with you. I really wish I could get myself to have more discipline with exercise and figure out what I would be happier doing for a career and get up the courage to do what I need to do to get there. Of course, I mentioned in my post that I also kind of wish I could just learn to be happy with what I have. That's just not natural for a dreamer, though.

Mickey said...

I have to take issue with your characterization of yourself as having not given back shit. Those to whom we give need not be strangers. Family counts, and it seems like you're giving in spades. We should all be so giving.

Meaghan said...

It's funny how our self image is usually skewed. You are a very giving and caring person - even if it's not always with strangers. And I definitely think you could pull off the fiction writing dream career you so desire!

Courtney said...

I think you give back more than you know. Even if it's not in the form of money or physical labor, being a kind, giving, loyal, friendly person is, in many ways, even more valuable.

And keep shooting for that fiction writing career. I think the only way to be a failure is to give up on what you really want. Even if it never works out, at least you'll go down swinging and that's something to be proud of.

Plus, if anyone can do it, you can.

Julie said...

I keep working to make myself a better person, too. It's slow work but I think it's a worthy cause. Let me know if you come up with any methods that work.

Also, I am interested in learning about your novel. It sounds as though you've already started. True?

Mickey said...

Dude- give us some of that creative writing here. I had no idea you wrote fiction. Inspire us.

Chris said...

Yeah, I've been pretty shy with my fiction, because I'm too freakin' slow and undisciplined to finish anything.

I've got about 10,000 to 15,000 words on two or three separate novels/novellas. And that's the result of five years of sporadic writing. You see my point? I'm a long way from having a novel (generally 100,000-plus) but too far gone to stop at a short story, as the stories are nowhere close to being wrapped up.

If I ever finish something, I'll certainly let you guys read it. Maybe I'll have to write some separate short stories to keep my juices flowing in the interim.

Most of the bits and pieces I have now, Meaghan hasn't even read (at least I don't think she has).

Meaghan said...

I've read a few. They aren't what you would expect to come out of Chris Marr. But I like them. They are different and a little weird!