Friday, November 13, 2009

The final sprint

Let the countdown begin. I am now about 40 hours away from my personal deadline in the NaNoWriMo contest -- midnight Saturday.

If there's good news for me, it is that I have kept a pretty good pace in the last week, adding 13,000 words since I updated you all last Friday. The bad news, though, is that I had not maintained that weekly average all along. Here I sit with 36,000 words in front of me, which means I have to write 14,000 today and tomorrow. Zounds.

Well, I suppose I should get started. Recall that I have scheduled to take the day off from work today to write. Is that a sad way to use a vacation day? Maybe, but sometimes in life a man just has to set a completely arbitrary goal for himself and then skip out on work to get as close as he can to accomplishing it.

So off I go to write. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

courtney said...

Zounds indeed. That's a whole lotta words for two days. But you can do it! And I think you did the right thing in scheduling a vacation day, because if you don't have arbitrary goals, then what do you have, really?

Senegal Daily said...

Wow. Both to the 36K and the 14K.

Good luck!

Jacob said...

Hey, at least if you fail at your personal goal, you'll still have Thanksgiving break to ignore family to write.

Good luck!

Julie said...

Good luck!

I believe you will be able to do it because (1) you are a journalist and they work well under pressure and (2) you will be more inclined to work hard on the novel since you know you SHOULD be at work.

P.S. - I initially typed 'good lick' thanks to the tiny keys on my phone. If you get stuck, try putting our professor in an embarrassing social situation thanks to an innocent mistake. It could be funny.