Friday, November 6, 2009

Down but not out... and something to read

Ladies and gentleman, as you have probably guessed because of my silence of the past week, I have fallen terribly far behind in my NaNoWriMo schedule. Last weekend was really busy with non-writing activities, and much of this week I have been an unmotivated slug. Excuses, excuses.

Point is: here I am only eight days away from my personal deadline, and I have just crossed the 23,000 word mark. (The goal is 50,000, remember.) Yikes.

I do plan to make a comeback, although it's going to be tricky. I might have to pull a few late nights, a la the days of college newspapering.

Well, instead of an excerpt from my writing, today I recommend you read this really interesting social commentary article from Vanity Fair on the rise of cute culture. It will make you laugh and feel a little sick to your stomach.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Well, isn't that special.

I only got to read the first three pages but COME ON. 'Up' was one of the best movies of the year. So what if it was cute?

I have Cheezeburger on my Google reader (they post more consistently than you do) and I love it. My favorite photo for a long time was a cat munching a gecko with the caption 'om nom nom.'(It's insurance humor - expectations are pretty low). I will also send approreiately themed kittehs to people. Courtney gets clown kittehs. Chris N gets zombie kittehs, etc.

BTW, it's 'om nom nom' not 'nom nom nom.' So suck it, Vanity Fair.

Senegal Daily said...

I tweeted this link earlier:

http://ow.ly/zQtr

Couldn't help it - too cute to pass up.

Good luck on the last 27K. If I were your editor, I'd definitely grant an extension.

Jacob said...

I warned you that taking a day off was a bad idea.

And that pig is creepy. I consider it an abomination before man, God, and hog.

Chris said...

Julie: Every blog posts more consistently than I do. That's not much of a reason to read it.

I can deal with cute in moderation, but it pains me to think that one day my sense of irony about life, TV, music, etc. will be scoffed at as "so 1990s."