Friday, May 16, 2008

I suspect I may be able to help keep another, smaller human being alive

As you might have heard, I seem to have fathered offspring. The developing life form is now about the size of a lima bean and is on schedule to join us in this non-amniotic outer world in mid to late December. A Christmas baby, perhaps.

So I've started to think about how it will be to share the responsibility of feeding a baby, keeping it safe and comfortable, eventually teaching it not to crap itself and maybe showing it how to partake in a few recreational pastimes, like darts or bocce ball.

I have been expecting and waiting for a rush of freaked-out-ness or giddy excitement or paralyzing fear or uncontrollable laughter or... something. Cause it's a big deal, right? Well, you may (or may not) be surprised to hear that none of these has come.

OK, there was one spell of uncontrollable laughter, but I'm confident it was unrelated.

So, I'm left with my usual dull-spirited self, taking my usual uber-dorky pleasures in things like reading and balancing the household budget. And oh the budgeting that is to be done in preparation for this young lima bean.

But this is not to say I have been without my own miniature emotions. I feel a sort of distant gladness and warmth toward the little developing human.

I've also noticed a mildly renewed ambition for household projects. There is a room to be repainted and decorated. Just last weekend I finally replaced the old grungy electrical outlets upstairs and put covers on them. (They had been coverless for the vast majority of our three years in this house.) And I've still got work to do toward creating a tolerable climate upstairs, since it currently feels a lot like a greenhouse on hot, sunny days -- and the nights that follow them.

I guess I'm not too terrified, is what I'm saying. I know raising a baby will be a lot of work, but I'm beginning to feel drawn to the idea of expanding our family beyond just me, the wife and the dogs. Let's face it, I've always been a more effective/productive person when given responsibilities -- versus being left with lots of idle time to try to fill.

I'm also hopeful about the idea of contributing a conscientious, useful citizen into society -- by which I mean someone who is not wasteful but cares about preserving the environment, someone who is generous to people who are less fortunate, someone eager to learn new ideas and also new skills to be better able to provide for himself or herself, etc. Unfortunately, we all know plenty of people bringing new babies into the world who have no such aspirations for them.

I won't get my hopes too high, though, because I know a parent only has so much control over how the child turns out. Parents are often disappointed. But nevertheless, these are some of my hopes for the little reptilian cluster of cells. (If I understand correctly, its arm and leg buds look kind of like tiny flippers right now.)

Now I've just gotten plain gooey, haven't I? Who knows, maybe someday I'll even become soft enough to let a boy wear argyle sweater vests.

Uh, no, never mind. That's not going to happen.

12 comments:

Nicole said...

Chris, you'll make a great dad. My bro-in-law told me he couldn't believe how much he fell in love with his daughter the moment he picked her up for the first time. I think that is when the giddiness hits.

And sweater vests RULE!

Senegal Daily said...

Please do tell us if/when giddiness hits. There's nothing wrong if it does or doesn't. I'd just get a kick out of Chris-giddiness.

You guys are going to be great lima bean parents.

Jacob said...

I didn't feel anything but the occasional vague dread at how my life would change. I didn't have any seriously positive emotion until the second I saw Evan being pulled from the gaping wound in Kim's abdomen. I can't say that I looked forward to the responsibility of a baby during gestation, and honestly, I get no satisfaction from it now. I like the kid and miss him when I don't see him during the day, but I only do the stuff to keep him alive because I have to. But then, I've never been the one to enjoy something I had to do anyway. I do like the fact that he's alive and healthy and seemingly bright, but keeping him that way is mostly a pain in the ass.

I do have to admit that I did get a bit of daydreaming material from molding a good person with good tastes, but I don't look forward to the inevitable discipline. Kids are born bad and you have to make them good. I look forward to exposing him to different people, cultures, music, but not the clash of wills and boundary pushing.

But I do whole-heartedly agree with your take on baby fashion. The only law I've laid down in my nearly 10-year relationship with Kim is that Evan is not to be dressed in sweater vests ever and for any reason.

Luckily, she doesn't have any problem with him wearing onesies sporting the logos of various bars. There's even a pic of him on the baby blog sporting a onesie from The Grog Shop, a bar in Cleveland where I saw Built to Spill last time.

Julie said...

Having had no experience in this arena, I can only add that the movie Juno told me that women become mothers at conception while men don't become fathers until the birth. So I think there are gooey feelings yet to come. If you can believe everything you see on tv - and I'm sure that you can.

And Jacob, I don't think that kids are born bad. I think that in general, laziness wins.

It takes time, effort and patience to be a good parent and many parents are too concerned with buying their kids toys and being their friends to discipline.

Fortunately, I've never thought of Chris or Meaghan as lazy. Quite the contrary. Meaghan, I think, will not take any crap from any thing, no matter how cute it might be. And Chris has this quiet, thoughtful thing going for him that the kid is sure to take as disappointment when the kid knows it's done something wrong. It will self-discipline.

Courtney said...

Teaching a kid not to crap himself and to not wear sweater vests are both equally important lessons.

I'm confident you and Meaghan will raise a kind and productive member of society. If it works out for you, maybe I'll even consider having one of my own one day. But for now I'll use yours as practice.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Congrats on the up & coming bebita!

My mother did daycare in her house when we were growing up, and I was so unconcerned about having and raising my son. Never looked anything up, or read a book. I compare myself now to my then-23-yr devil-may-care attitude. Even though I did a pretty good job with mine, I think I'd be a lot more obsessive-compulsive if I had to have another go' round. (knock on wood).

Jacob said...

Are you and Meaghan dead? Did the fetus turn out to be a carnivorous alien larvae?

Shannon said...

Hey, Isaac has an argyle sweater vest! What are you trying to say? That it's atrocious to let your little boy own one, better yet, wear it to church? Well, you would be right! He got it from his Nana and Papaw and you too will receive outfits for your lovely child to be worn only when those family members are around! So, get used to the idea of some old person trying to dress your son or daughter as an old person themselves might dress!

Meaghan said...

I think you're going to be a great dad. We've already had this discussion though. You'll be pretty different than the dad I'm used to, but I'll just have to fill in as the crazy, silly parent.

You know I'm totally with you on the sweater vest thing. And Julie's pretty much got it right on. I'm not taking crap from anyone, and that goes for the old people trying to dress my kid like Shannon said. She's actually nicer than me. I have no problem sending that sweater vest to the Salvation Army the day after receiving it.

Jacob makes me sad. I think when Evan gets older, you'll want to be with him even more. Soon, he'll be a human sponge, wanting to take in all the knowledge you can give him. And that's something I KNOW you'll love to do, Jacob.

Jacob said...

Meaghan, I think you're misinterpretting my comment. I don't enjoy the responsibility of being a parent, but that doesn't mean I don't like the kid and I don't really understand the people who seem to take a lot of pleasure in that responsibility, but then I don't understand people who live for their work either. I actually got a little down thinking about Evan this weekend when I was in Chattanooga and he was with his grandparents. That still doesn't mean I take any satisfaction from the diapers and feedings and crying and loss of freedom. I just don't think it's a good idea to romanticize parenting. Believe me, seeing your kid (when they're not angry) will be enough of a pull to romanticize the experience that you'll need to force yourself to think about it more rationally to keep your balance.

Jacob said...

a\And by down I meant thinking about how I wouldn't see him that day.

Meaghan said...

Jacob: I see. I think it's pretty silly when people romanticize about being a parent as well. It's kind of the same thing with marriage. People think it's all kisses and roses, but it's life. And if you find that perfect person for you, then it's worth experiencing. But don't get married just because others tell you it's cool. Same goes for kids, I think. I'm certainly no expert though... and I'm guessing I never will be.