Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Farce Side

If I could draw and decided to draw a comic strip for a living (or even just for fun), that's what I would call it: "The Farce Side".

I would labor on with badly-scrawled (as opposed to well-scrawled?) cartoons, begging small-town newspapers to publish my work, until one day I caught a features syndicate editor with an odd sense of humor in just the right mood and got myself a trial in 30 or so major newspapers across North America.

Then, the lawyers for a much more famous cartoonist would spot my work and notice the near-thievery of my title, and they would carefully weigh their options for suing me or not (or just writing me a threatening letter with a mysterious white powder in the envelope; I hear that's how copyright lawyers operate these days). In the end, though, my cartoon would never make it past its glorious three-month trial run, and so the lawyers would save themselves any further trouble by just watching it die under the weight of its own mediocrity.

That's why I'll never be a cartoonist. Lawyers. They screw up everything.

I really didn't have anything to write about today, but I was so sick of that Nutella jar photo sitting at the top of my page. I should have made some advertising revenue off of that. But I didn't. I'm sorry you guys had to look at that jar for almost two full weeks, and none of us has anything to show for it.

So, so sorry.

5 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Happy to see the Nutella go. Great post, but the visual reminder kept making me crave Nutella on crepes.

You could always upload your cartoons (once you scrawl them out) on your blog. Or if you want more exposure, upload them on Meaghan's too when she's not looking.

Meaghan said...

Yeah Chris, the lawyers are why you'd never be a cartoonist! It has nothing to do with the fact that you can't even draw a smiley face! Love ya!

Julie said...

Perhaps if you spent less time reading your own blog over and over again, you'd have more time to write your blog.

Mickey said...

Yeah, I was getting sick of looking at it, too. Except I haven't really been reading blogs for a week or so.

Good luck with the strip. The comic one.

Anonymous said...

Haha, sorry man, way ahead of you. My 'The Farce Side' has been going since 2005. And Kris Wilson, creator of Cyanide & Happiness, is totally chums with me now because of it.

I'm on the C&H MySpace Top 8 and #1 his own personal MySpace. :D

http://niboswald.deviantart.com