Monday, February 11, 2008

My most productive weekday (hint: I wrote this on Monday)

Just saw an article reporting that about 60% of surveyed senior executives said Tuesday was their most productive day of the week. (This comes from a Robert Half International survey of 150 senior executives.)

It's a curious tendency, and I've noticed it in my own work habits: we tend to be more productive on certain days of the week and even at certain hours of the day. For me, I'm no damn good in the morning. Especially Monday morning --- hence, I'm writing a blog post.

The survey suggests that the top execs of major corporations tend not to get much done on Mondays either. They're catching up on e-mails after a weekend off, plus they have many of their routine meetings on Monday. (Are they suggesting meetings detract from productivity? I am stunned.)

In the survey, Fridays are the least productive day. I think I differ on that one. Sometimes I'm off in my own world Friday, not interested in work. But other weeks, I've finally gotten on a roll by Friday and I'm cranking out my best work. Or at least I'm working quickly to try to get done by a decent hour and begin the weekend.

On average, my most productive day could fall anywhere between Tuesday and Thursday. But the real moral of the story here is, essentially, Mondays suck and we really should just not go to work those days.

Come on, who's with me? Four-day work weeks? I think I'd be tempted to trade in five eight-hour work days for four ten-hour days per week. I don't usually accomplish anything after work hours through the week anyway.

Thus concludes my stalling from work. Luckily (I guess) I've got to head to a conference in Atlanta today, so I'll be forced to get something done.

To compensate for a total lack of cleverness in this morning's writing, I direct you to this article on the subject from The Onion:

Study Finds Working at Work Improves Productivity

8 comments:

Mickey said...

I'm with you.

I've worked four tens and it's pretty damn cool. The days kind of drag, but it's totally worth it. I've also worked three twelves. That blows (plus it's only 36 hours).

Who actually does five days' worth of work anyway?

Welcome back, by the way.

Meaghan said...

I'm with you, too. I've always said four work days and three weekend days - you're still working the majority of the week. What there is to do determines how busy I am each day. Here lately, I've definitely worked five days, but Mondays are harder to get going.

I wonder though if we don't need that phasing-in day, you know? If we were off on Monday, would we be productive on Tuesday? I think not.

Courtney said...

I'm in. Four-day work week! Viva la revolucion!

Nicole said...

And damn. Here I am getting so much done by reading your blog.

Sid said...

But if Tuesdays became the start of the working week then it would just feel like a Monday anyway ... plus we'd only get paid for four working days.

Julie said...

I have considered going back to school on multiple occasions to become a nurse thanks to my friend Jessica.

She works night shift weekend option at the hospital here. The hours suck, but she only works 7pm to 7am on Friday and Saturday night and she's done. That's right, she works 24 hours a week and is done. Anyone want to join me at KSU?

Chris said...

Well, Meaghan and Sid, there's only one way to find out what would happen if Tuesday were the start of the work week, now isn't there?

Julie, are you sure your friend isn't a compulsive liar? I always thought nurses had to work like 195 hours a week.

Jacob said...

I haven't had a five day week in over a month. My last few weeks consisted of Monday off for a holiday, a Monday off taking care of sick baby, a Monday and Wednesday off taking care of a sick Jacob, a Friday (this week) off for holiday, and Monday (next week) off for same holiday. It's been awesome.