Thursday, February 14, 2008

Faking it

Perverts. I'm not writing about that kind of faking it.

I'm referring to the way I felt on Monday and Tuesday, when I dressed up in a nice business suit (actually two different suits, one for each day) and drove to a high-dollar hotel and conference center for an investor conference.

I do this periodically, in different cities, different hotel/conference centers and with different investment themes (although constantly rotating through the same three suits). In case you're wondering, I attend these conferences as part of my job as a financial journalist, not just for fun.

But no matter where it is or which suit I'm wearing, I always get the distinct sense that I am entirely out of place and wonder how long it will take for someone else to notice. I keep expecting someone to walk up and say, "Excuse me. Who are you and why are you here?"

Of course they don't do that, partly because I'm in a suit like the rest of them and partly because I'm wearing the same style name tag from the same conference registration table as the rest of them.

I just can't shake the sense that I'm faking it --- surrounded by white guys in suits who seem genuinely fascinated by the particular investment theme, and perhaps even convinced that their participation in this investment world serves some greater good in society.

I share neither sentiment, beyond a general intellectual curiosity that prevents me from being bored to the verge of suicide, and of course the understanding that my livelihood requires me to pay close attention to the subject matter at hand and talk with as many of these suits as possible. Actually, that general curiosity usually manages to make my mildly interested in the topic.

We eat dainty pastries with sliced up melon and berries for breakfast and make polite, mindless conversation over lunch. At the end of it all, we're invited to "network" over cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.

Ugh. I'm usually too exhausted by this point to exercise any of my networking abilities, which are in rather short supply even at full strength.

Most likely, these feelings are the result of my quasi-blue collar upbringing. I never knew anyone wealthy growing up. I certainly didn't know any investment bankers or CEOs. And call me stereotypical, but I'm pretty sure most of the investment bankers and CEOs I mingled among earlier this week would have turned their noses pretty high if they walked past the kinds of people I spent my time with as a child and teenager.

I just can't seem to feel at home in this crowd. Beyond the stuck-up snob stereotype, I've got no good reason to dislike them. They generally come across as friendly and accommodating, even the CEOs when I'm asking them questions they would rather not answer.

I guess I just prefer 'salt of the earth,' working class personalities over 'money makes the world go round' attitudes. And I worry a little that if I spend too much time around the latter type then I'll lose my ability to relate to the former.

Ah well, ultimately I do think people are people, and we're not all that different deep down --- in our desires, hopes, needs and so on. Thus, I get by, even when forced to hang out with filthy rich old white guys.

That concludes today's session of self-psychoanalysis. I owe myself $100.

11 comments:

Sid said...

I feel like I'm pretending to be an adult. I have meetings with directors and managers and I can't help but wonder why they don't realise that I'm just a kid.

Meaghan said...

I think you'd be surprised at how many of them are faking it, too. Some of them may have had a blue-collar upbringing as well and hopefully have not let go of their roots. In the end, you are right. We're all just people with the same needs, etc.

And after all, you just have a job dealing with the rich white folks so that you'll have money to have your blue collar fun! (but please don't let that include hunting)

Nicole said...

Those are the type of people that I am constantly with in my line of work, and I think you were right when you said that people are just people. A lot of the rich, white guys I know are quite happy to go out back and spit tobacco juice into a gatorade bottle. And many of my blue-collared friends seem much more 'refined' than the white-collar ones. Enjoyed reading your perspective on this.

Courtney said...

When I was a reporter, I also felt weird when I had to spend time with CEOs and other business types. For one thing, I don't think they ever took this 5'0" girl seriously. I always felt really out of place.

Mickey said...

Holy shit! You own 3 suits!

That's 3 more than either of us should own, and you know it.

For this and may other reasons, I could not do your job. I fake it enough as it is, but your description is like that scene in Indian Jones and the Last Crusade where Indy is in Berlin during the Nazi rally and accidentally runs into Hitler, who signs the grail diary for him, thinking he's just a fan and not, in fact, the one person in the crowd who is attempting to deny him world domination.

Julie said...

If it makes you feel better, the vehicle owned by most millionaires is the Ford F150. There are a lot of millionaire blue collar contractors out there.

Chris said...

I'm glad you see where I'm coming from Mickey.

As a small consolation, I purchased one of those suits at the Salvation Army for $7 (yet it's very professional looking, not a retro leisure suit). So sometimes when I wear that one, I feel like I have some cool dirty secret on these guys.

Jacob said...

Yeah, Julie, but considering Chris's job, I doubt he's hanging out with those kind of millionaires at his fancy-schmancy conventions.

Senegal Daily said...

Hi Chris

I emailed you via Meaghan over the weekend. Let me know what you think about it.

- K

Jacob said...

You know, when planning a romantic tryst, it's best not to relay messages through the guy's wife.

Jacob said...

Hey, Chris, do you have a relative with your same surname who goes by Greg and is a physical trainer. Apparently there's a guy down here with your less than omnipresent last name.