Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Top 10 things I'm year-end-review thankful for

I'm gonna beat you suckahs to the punch with a couple of cliche post topics rolled into one. I know in a couple of days bloggers all over the country will write about what they're thankful for, and then in about six weeks they'll once again seasonally conspire to write their personal year-end reviews. Well, here are both of mine combined, two days and about six weeks early, respectively. (Sorry, Mickey. I know you'll hate me for being cliche.)

So, it's been a tough year in some respects for me and the missus, particularly the last four months. Family problems have weighed heavily on our minds and wallets, not to mention put a serious pinch on our free time. But, in retrospect, we've both enjoyed a lot of good things -- some new, some pre-existing -- so I'm going to write about those, being the optimist that I am.*

On to the list then (of the top 10 things I'm thankful for this year, as a review of sorts):

10.** Meaghan and I both got new and improved jobs this year -- she as a graphic designer in the PR office of my college alma mater, I as a financial journalist for an online news service specializing in corporate mergers and acquisitions. (It's every bit as nerdy as it sounds. Some days it's nerdier than it sounds.)

9. After nine months (me) and five months (Meaghan) on said new jobs, we both still enjoy them and have yet to discover any lurking deadly secrets about the organizations that employ us. Granted no company (or college) is perfect and there will always be inefficiencies and incompetence here and there, but I think we've both found our new jobs to contain far fewer examples of those than our previous employer. Plus, we're getting better benefits, better hours, less stress, etc.

8. For all the stress and headaches of aforementioned family turmoil, it seems that the mentally ill family member in question may very well find herself in a healthier situation now and in the future than where she was before the most recent crisis. (Sorry to be so vague, guys. It's just not something I feel like blogging about in detail.)

7. After a few years of discussing and saving for it, we finally took our vacation to Italy this summer. It was certainly the most beautiful and memorable trip we've had the chance to take together. We did the obligatory historical sight-seeing in Rome, which was very cool, but I think Meaghan and I were in agreement that our time in Tuscany -- mostly relaxing and wine tasting -- was the most enjoyable.

6. In the category of non-new blessings, Meaghan and I have continued to progress on the update of our semi-historic home. Depending on whom you ask, the house's original construction dates to somewhere between the 1920s and 1950s. Our remodeling/renovation work began in April 2005 and has been a highly rewarding experience. We've learned a lot and done a lot of things that three years ago I could not have imagined we would be doing (e.g. installing ceramic tile in bathroom floors, including one with a mosaic-style border pattern). Sure, we could have bought a newer house and dodged a lot of the repairs we've had to make, but I'm glad we didn't.

5. We finally have high-speed Internet at home (thanks to my new job, which reimburses me for it). I'm not such a technology junkie that the Internet would normally make my 'things I'm thankful for' list. But, as it turns out, it has led me into the world of blogging that, among other benefits, has given me a good way to stay in touch with friends with whom I wasn't communicating very often before blogging. So I'll try to do a better job of writing in mine regularly, guys, instead of just reading yours everyday.

I guess what I'm really saying here is I'm thankful for my friends and family, and the Internet makes it easier to communicate and keep up with those who don't live nearby. So make a note: No. 5 is friends and family, not the Internet. Sorry Al Gore.

4. I shouldn't make a 'thankful' list without mentioning my health. It's easy to take for granted, but God knows I certainly don't always eat well or exercise regularly. Nevertheless, I've been very blessed with continuing good health. Without that, it would be hard to enjoy any of this other stuff.

3. Meaghan and I are (still) slowly settling into a church that we both like here in Rome, as I (still) work to sort of redefine my faith. A few years ago, I doubted whether I would ever find a church I would enjoy again, given my strong distaste for the intolerance and empty rituals that seem to be so prevalent in organized religion. We seem to have found a place where people know how to be genuine human beings and Christians at the same time -- something to definitely be thankful for.

2. Silly as it will sound to non-dog people, I am thankful for our dog Sadie. Her sweet demeanor and funny personality bring so much stress relief and humor into our lives. Again, this falls into the not-new-this-year category. We picked her up from the animal shelter exactly one week after we moved into our house in 2005.

1. You saw it coming, I suspect. And sorry, Jacob, you'll want to stop reading now. My No. 1 thing I'm thankful for this year (as in the past 10 years) is Meaghan. She's the perfect companion for me, an easy-going roommate and my best friend. I know it sounds sappy, but it's true.

Of course there are other things I'm thankful for: "Family Guy" reruns, "The Office" new episodes, my Jack Johnson CD collection (don't judge him by the songs on the radio), that the neighborhood kids are getting older and a little less destructive. But I've gone on long enough. Thank you and good night.


*Actually, I am not an optimist. However, I do find it refreshing to occasionally focus on good thoughts, in place of my usual analysis and overanalysis of life's problems and how they might be solved. This is that occasion. Enjoy.

**The order of the list might or might not hold significance as to the degree of thankfulness for each item. I am far too indecisive to pick a "favorite" in almost any category or situation.

6 comments:

Meaghan said...

I love you...

Senegal Daily said...

Excellent post, Chris. I'm thankful you beat the crowds with this list - and that Meaghan is still at the top...well, bottom.

Mickey said...

Some cliches are good, Chris. This would be one of those, although your timing is decidedly not cliche. Thanks for sharing.

Courtney said...

Great post! Sounds like things are good in the Chris/Meaghan household. If I may contribute, I'd like to say I'm thankful for your guest room. It has been an excellent home away from home for Mickey and me.

Jacob said...

It used to be my and Kim's guest room you two-timing hussie.

Chris said...

Now, now, Jacob. There are enough guest rooms for everyone -- up to two rooms, that is. Beyond that, somebody's sleeping on the couch.