Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Single-file line, eyes forward

Ah, another business trip and another reminder of one of life's true, pure joys -- air travel.

For those readers who don't know me that well: that was sarcasm, bitter sarcasm to be more specific.

Even when a flight goes smoothly and arrives on time, the experience of flying on a commercial airline is by far the worst thing a corporation has ever given me in exchange for a couple hundred American dollars.

The air system and reading lights never quite work. The cramped seating makes those old yellow school buses seem like luxury coaches. And your luggage (if you're dumb enough to check it in) could end up pretty much anywhere. Not to mention that no matter how short the flight itself, flying anywhere generally manages to take up my entire day.

For the most part, I get the sense that the airport workers know how much the experience blows, and so they habitually greet you with scowls and grimaces, as a means of conditioning you psychologically for all the unpleasantries that lie ahead.

However, while checking in for my recent flight to Dallas I encountered a TSA worker of a different variety -- a borderline jolly black gentleman who instructed us cooly through the security checkpoint.

It was here, listening to this gentleman's instructions, that I was taken back to elementary school. That is not to say I specifically had to remove my shoes and carry all my liquid supplies in a clear quart-sized baggie with a zipper top when I went to school, but I do recall often being bombarded with a laundry list of instructions.

When we sat at our desks, it was feet on the floor, no talking, no sleeping, no passing notes. When the teacher led us to the cafeteria or anywhere else en masse, it was single file line, no touching, no loud talking, look straight ahead, no tripping, no pushing (these overlapped with no touching, I think).

So it occurred to me at the airport that the security checkpoint rules might very well be a massive government experiment to see how well Americans can follow basic instructions. I think we're failing, from what I can tell. I'm the only person I've ever seen actually take out their quart-size bag of toiletries for independent X-ray. People also have a hard time understanding that they should remove their luggage from the conveyor after they pass the metal detector, rather than standing there for five minutes repacking their laptops and putting on their shoes.

But at least one TSA worker has decided to take the (friendly) elementary school teacher approach. This gentleman I saw yesterday employed sing-songy instructions and rhymes in his best radio announcer voice to convey messages such as: "Did you know there are tables in the rear for your repacking and redressing convenience? Please take your gear and head to the rear." And repeat, of course, "Take your gear and head to the rear."

There was also this line, which might have been demeaning had it not been delivered in such a charming tone: "Please have your boarding pass out in your hand. Look at your hand. Do you see a boarding pass there?"

His personality was a nice break from the otherwise sterile, almost hostile airport experience. Still, I can imagine his wife is probably ready to rip out his smart-ass tongue.

6 comments:

Jacob said...

There's a late-middle-aged black lady at Hartfield-Jackson whose line I went through the last two flights (both early morning flights) and after the first one I actually looked forward to going through her line. I don't share the same distaste for air travel you do, but she did have an unusually sunny demeanor for anyone working in customer service or any similar roll should. You were a waiter, you should be able to identify with all the sour mugs at the airport. 75 percent of people are complete idiots and at least 50 percent are assholes (that adds up to more than 100 percent because of a sizable overlap). My cynicism for my own species was pretty much born out of my experiences as a bagger and cashier at a grocery store in high school.

Chris said...

Yeah, I see your point about customer service workers. The customers are equally unpleasant to them.

But my distaste for air travel has less to do with the workers and more to do with the process, how long it takes and how often it goes wrong. I guess I feel like something so expensive should be well done, and commercial air travel is anything but. Then again, I do realize the virtual miracles of science involved in making the whole thing work at all -- projecting a massive metal contraption filled with a few hundred people thousands of feet into the air and then guiding them safely to the city of their choice. From a historical perspective, it's such an absurd idea. I guess deep down, I'm a typical spoiled American.

Meaghan said...

I'm still laughing from "pick up your gear and go to the rear." Do you know how many dirty jokes I could come up with from that line alone?

Nicole said...

Dude - It was the expectation that I would receive FAST food from a fast food restaurant that made it so bad AND the fact that the manager did not give a crap that her staff were miserable, moronic people. Treating the customer with respect in a service industry has gone right down the toilet.

And as for your prediction - ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Love your blog!

Courtney said...

I also hate air travel. I like being in new places, but getting there and back is such a pain. I always get stuck next to either a smelly fat guy who overflows his own seat, or some lady who bathed in perfume that morning.

Jacob said...

What did we say to each other
That we are as the deer
Who walk single file
With heads highs
With ears forward
With eyes watchful
With hooves always placed on firm ground
In whose limbs there is latent flight

- N. Scott Momaday