Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day 13, Words 17,000-plus

I am happy to report that the writing continues. With a current word count of 17,291, I'm a couple days behind schedule, although I haven't done any writing yet today. If I were precisely on pace, I would have just over 21,500 words by end of day, and I need to reach the halfway point by the end of the week.

I must admit: I was fairly nervous and unsure of myself when I began this. I feared that I would run out of ideas to flesh out the story's skeleton or that my schedule would get too busy to write. I read on the NaNoWriMo website that last year only about 18% of the people who registered to participate actually completed the 50,000 words within the month. But I've got to say I'm feeling pretty good about it now. I'm determined to succeed, and I'm even scheduling a vacation day from work just before my deadline so I can catch up if I'm still a little behind schedule. It is rather motivating having you blog readers watching for my updates and excerpts.

Got to tend to my day job for now. Maybe I'll add an excerpt later.

4 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Wow! I'm really impressed. And it's encouraging to hear you're finding the writing process is coming along. I considered doing it, but that was my big fear. (So am Nanowrimo-ing vicariously through you.)

Jacob said...

Woo! Watch out for carpal tunnel. It's a doosie.

Julie said...

I do admire your dedication. I am not sure I could do it. I would be interested in getting more excerpts (or just reading the novel when you're finished)

courtney said...

You can do it! For some reason I find it hilarious that you scheduled a vacation day from work to make sure you finish.