Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September is a new day: A personal pep talk in five stanzas

September is a new day, and I shall be a new man. I shall water the ferns more regularly and walk the dogs at least every other day. I shall read more and work fewer crossword puzzles. I shall comb my hair and brush my teeth first thing each morning, even though I do not plan to leave the house. I shall whistle while I work.

I shall eat less fast food and exercise more. I shall finally buy life insurance and e-mail the photos to my uncle that I promised him months ago. I shall clean my floors twice weekly.

I shall spend more of my work hours working. I shall spend any free work hours pursuing the freelance writing opportunities I have long claimed to want. I shall more frequently foster creativity through blogging, which shall mean bettering my recent average of three to four posts per month. I shall spend far less time playing this game and this game, and for goodness sake I shall not play any more of this game.

I shall be more content and less restless, yet I shall boldly go where no man has gone before. I shall try something new in bed. I shall not pay anyone $1,500 to $2,000 to paint the exterior trimwork of my house, the scoundrels.

I shall resist evil and seek justice. I shall give to charity. I shall stand my ground against the neighborhood cats who defecate in my yard. I shall be a new man.

11 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I shall be impressed. That's quite the list.

Nicole said...

That is a hell of a list. Let us know how that goes for you. :)

Julie said...

Good for you. Let me know how that works out.

I'm just not sure how you will get the cats, though.

Jacob said...

I wouldn't depend on blogging to make you a better writer. It just made me wordier. I still suck, though.

And try http://www.jellybattle.com/

That game was fun back when I played it.

Courtney said...

Geez. What exactly happened to you over Labor Day weekend?

But please don't spend more hours working. That's fun for no one.

Mickey said...

Something new in bed? Haven't you achieved enough in that department for one year?

Maybe you could add the Roman Rumble 5K to your list. My friend Steven invited me down to run in it and I'm considering it. Hey, the course is flat at least.

Chris said...

Mickey, I think I've embarassed myself enough in the 5K road race department for a little while.

However, now that you mention it, we're planning to go camping with the usual suspects on the same evening as that race. If you're thinking of being in town anyway, here's one more reason...

Meaghan said...

I shall try to help, but you won't let me near paint so it's your own dang fault!

Courtney said...

What was that about blogging more frequently?

Jacob said...

Meaghan, I think huffing paint would just make you retarded and not the baby. Drinking the paint would probably be different. I can tell you from experience that having a kid makes you retarded anyway, so you won't really miss those brain cells.

And Chris, I thought you were going to try to post more. You're such a liar.

Mickey said...

Still waiting on that next post...