Thursday, August 7, 2008

Guess what's growing in my wife's uterus

Some (if not all) of you have already read about this over at Whatever Happened to Schoolhouse Rock, but just for the record: we're having a boy.

We took this as good news, since now the lone nephew on my side of the family will have another boy to play with at family gatherings as he grows up. Also we had already settled on a name for a boy, whereas we were still debating girl names. (Logan Matthew, by the way. You already know all this. There's no suspense here.) Plus, Meaghan confessed she was a little nervous at the prospect of raising a girl, especially through the teenage years, and she's even more excited than I am about traditional boy things like Little League.

More "for the record" stuff: we would have been happy about a girl too, probably for slightly different reasons. Most importantly, the baby appears to have all his parts in all the right places.

It's amazing what you can see on the most basic "level 1" ultrasound. The technician verified a beating heart, with four properly divided chambers. She pointed out specific parts of the brain, the names of which I've forgotten now. She showed us that the spine has appropriately formed inside the skin.

And, of course, he's got the usual twig and berries that make him a him, and he was not a bit shy about showing them off for the "camera".

So, I think this officially puts us in the second half of the pregnancy. Roughly 20 weeks (give or take a week) down and roughly 20 more to go.

Then, it's on to the easy part -- raising the child.

7 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I'm glad you posted this. It's fun to see your views and also Meaghan's.

Congratulations, Logan's dad.

Nicole said...

Congratulations! But for the life of me I can't see why you don't go with Chris Jr. :)

Courtney said...

An exhibitionist at such a young age. Better keep an eye on him.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I'm so happy "tumor" wasn't the answer to the title question.

Meaghan said...

Yikes! I second Justins comment... but I already knew the answer. And yes, I'm already preparing for Little League. I think they even have something called Diaper League, but maybe that's pushing it.

Jacob said...

Evan wouldn't show us his for two months.

Julie said...

I'm so glad your son is smart enough to grow his spine inside the skin. That could have been bad.